Thursday, April 7, 2011

GS: Dark Dawn Rant

Okay, so I just went on GameFAQs

And seriously, I don't like being a hater... but like most old people I worry about the new generation.

Seriously, did no one who played Dark Dawn find it sucks? Seriously?!

I don't feel like I'm qualified to rant on it immediately, because I played it around Christmas or something... or Reading Week (so either over a month or four months ago) and I don't remember quite wtf I didn't like about.

Yeah, because I don't remember anything about it. Because it wasn't memorable. Seriously with GS and GS:TLA I replayed it like... a lot. I won't say 50 times- 'cause that's just ridiculous but at least.... thrice? 5 times? I don't know. A lot, for a game. And each time was somehow still enjoyable (although not a manic sort)

With Dark Dawn, I got bored over halfway? Or confused? I felt like I was dragged. I don't mind the basic gist of it: a troubled world as a background, and young'uns go on a quest-- only to get embroiled in something bigger. Fine. That's a trope which works.

But not in the way it was presented. By god, I know Camelot maybe has other games under development and they were rushed to push out GS... but in 7 years, this is what they come with? Where is my smooth sailing, easy but exciting ferrying of the story? Of execution? It says something when a game/story is finished but you replay/reread it. And moreso you replay/reread is more than once.

With Dark Dawn I felt like I was lost, I was bored. And it's not just "oh so much dialogue." The beauty of GS series in the GBA version was that there was so much "damned dialogue." They developed the characters (and yeah, you could imagine the silent protagonist. Personally I fancied it, eventually you get used to it and it's just how they roll. And it helps when you're a fan fiction writer and you can have so much control over how you develop the character)

But the poor execution of it was... well, poor. I felt like things were jumping from one thing to the next, and there were loads of unresolved shit... which remained unresolved at the end. I can't say what they were exactly... (which is weak argument, but seriously I don't give a shit to play the game again to "rant properly") but seriously. Dark Dawn made me feel like a drowning victim rather than bating my breath for the sequel (which better happen, given the blatant ending, obviously) unlike GS.

I didn't feel attached to any of the characters and I felt like they just popped out forcedly out of nowhere. There were 8 characters out of nowhere? What? That priestess girl from Izumo...Miki or something? WHY DID SHE APPEAR AT ALL? Totally useless, just get her function to a psynergy device or something. Did Felix and gang find another adept just to use lash? No, they found a Lash Crystal. -- Okay, going off point. But I hope I'm making sense. Then again, I'm a story junkie. I guessed it could be something like: "Ooooh, different sprite! Different psynergies! Different stats/growth!" but yeah, clearly, idgaf about that so... well.

And also, the game took me 20-some hours to finish? 23? 25? ...I can't tell whether that's a good thing. It just seemed to me TLA took a LOT longer? ... Oh well, I suppose I should really compare it with GS, which I don't remember how long I spent on... >_> Ah well. But seriously, why was it so easy to defeat Star Magician? It boggled my mind. And why was it so easy to level up? It was ridiculous ... I think I ended up being lvl 50 or something? Wtf?

Anyway, as a fan of the original GS series, I shall fittingly conclude this with an understatement: I was underwhelmed. Completely underwhelmed.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment